What a weekend!
Saturday saw the sun push the stormy clouds aside and beam down on the members at their first ‘in person’ event of the year, their summer evening at Palace House.
It was a delightful day where members were free to explore the grounds, view the visiting Sculpture Exhibition, and visit the Museum after such a long time away. They also had the opportunity to step into the Museum’s 1914 Rolls-Royce Alpine Eagle and get driven around the grounds in style.
With an assortment of members favourite cars were parked on the lawns, Lord Montagu welcomed the guests and bade farewell to Kaye Crouch who is stepping down from her position as chair since 2018 and welcomed our new chair, David Shaw.
Kaye remains a fully committed member but is happy for the opportunity to take things at a more leisurely pace! She was presented with a bouquet of flowers and a framed montage of her B100 highlights.
Firehut Pizza, fired up their pizza oven from their delightful horse truck and provided delicious fare for everyone, and Hambledon Vineyard set up an impressive selection of their fabulous sparkling Cuvée. Nigel Taylor their ambassador and long serving B100 member, invited winemaker Ian Kellett to tell members his story and sample some fine bubbles from his vineyard. They went down a treat.
New Forest Private Collection
Sunday was a cooler day and saw David take up his first post as chair, welcoming guests and presenting a gift to our host Lord Laidlaw, who opened the doors to his fabulous private collection.
Needless to say it was a day to remember, as the members comments attest here:
- David Shaw: What a fabulous visit. To me the highlight of my year has been to ride on a traction engine. I think it released my inner school boy !
- Jonnie Rockingham: What a great morning! Talk about ‘money can’t buy’ experiences – just fabulous.
- Paul Cable: An amazing visit and experience, big thank you to Lord Laidlaw.
- Jon Horsley: The ride on the steam engine was an added bonus! The members have been very spoilt, thanks to Lord Laidlaw! Great to see many members new and old over the weekend. A great treat indeed for those who attended. See you all soon at the next event.
- Michael + Steve Austin: Dad and I whole heartily enjoyed this. Thank you for making this possible. P.S Dad’s still grinning like a school boy!!!!
- Mike Timmins: Nothing more to say beyond that it was good to be back at Beaulieu/New Forest and to see you all again.
- Wai Man Cheung: It was absolutely amazing! The hosts were absolutely fabulous and welcoming, and as a result we may have a new member on board – just the thing this membership is about!
- David Marklew: What an amazing visit! The New Forest hold so many secrets ancient and modern. Thank you Lord Laidlaw for sharing this one with us. This was certainly a weekend to remember.
Great weekend, great weather, great food and libations had with great company – enough said!